i’ve missed my blog. so. much.
dissertation year is seriously kicking my behind, so blogging has fallen by the wayside. till now. yay!
thought i’d start with a house renovation update, since lots and lots has changed in the last 5 months. for those of you who love process and before and after shots, here’s a ton on our front steps.
this is what the front of the house used to look like before i planted massive grasses and bushes. just scope the steps on the right side of the pictures:
as you can see, the steps were crumbling:
this picture is from when we relaid the walkway. clearly there was a lot of beer drinking when that happened…
anyway, i let the hostas on the right side grow HUGE over the past 5 years because the hostas allowed us to cover up how bad it was on the one side. this summer C and the crew ripped them all out and built an entirely new front step.
here’s how it all went down in pictures and my not-at-all-techincal descriptions:
1. C ripped out everything over the course of an extremely humid week:
2. C and Smoke (our favorite mason) dug really deep holes and started rebuilding:
3. Smoke built a base and landing with a lotta cement:
4. During this time, both C and I lost our keys to the back door of the house. So, each and every time we came and went, we climbed up the mound of dirt and stone on the right, walked across that little 2/4 plank, and in through the front door. I did this in heels. Many times.
6. Our other contractor Felix ripped out the rotten ceiling and built a new one:
7. Felix and C built the stairs. Felix was extremely excited about the progress:
8. Smoke finished the sides to match the original stone around the base of the house.
Wintson liked to hangout there a lot and keep everyone company.
9. Felix built out the landing:
11. Then C stained everything and I took a very lop-sided picture of it with my phone and didn’t bother to edit for this blog post:
12. Then fall turned to winter and here we are today: